MORBID ANGEL "Illud Divinum Insanus" (Season of Mist)

Man, in all of his humanly spirit, sometimes judges certain things not that much objectively. There's an interplay of many factors in his own idiosyncrasy which will make him love or hate any thing. Morbid Angel are one of the biggest chapters (if not THE biggest) of death metal encyclopedia and unfortunately "Illud Divinum Insanus" struggles to hit one's fancy. I'm not worthy to judge Morbid Angel as a band -in fact I'd never intend to- but the band's brand new musical ideology battles against the glory of their past. I'm not even sure if David Vincent's return and taste led them to this new direction. There are many though who accuse him for Morbid Angel's new face. I've been their fan since I first listened to their "Covenant" album and thenceforth I've enjoyed all of their records equally. In fact, they're my favourite death metal band of all times. Even their previous, "Heretic" album hid some seriously infectious compositions that could thrill the shit of me. I believe that Morbid Angel of this new era have misconducted their unique talent and I can't accept the fact that I had to wait eight years to get this kind of shit. Pardon me but "Illud Divinum Insanus" seems to contain second-hand riffs and non-essential material. The bright exceptions among the record's tracks are "Beauty Meets Beast" which has been lent a "Gateways to Annihilation" magnificence and "Nevermore" which is a typical Morbid Angel dynamite. Well, this isn't a joke anymore. I surely expected more than this. Tim Yeung may be a hell of a drummer but the themes he's chosen to use are really uninspired and I'm not sure if he's to blame. Vincent's vocal tone is really good, yet sometimes he sings like a hardcore singer or what. Trey Azagthoth outshines only in the record's solo themes - truly outstanding, particular and heartily performed. Pete Sandoval's absense is more than just obvious (we wish him to fully recover). To sum up, "Illud Divinum Insanus" is by far the worst Morbid Angel record ever released and (to me) one of the biggest disappointments of the last years. I just hope they'll soon strike back with a record of utter elegance and shut our mouths up. So, until next time...

Miltos XIC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...